Ubuntu 14.04 and 15.10 not working with Nvidia GTX 950m
I have a new laptop for my work. It is a Toshiba Satellite P50-C-18D with video card Nvidia GTX 950M, and processor Intel i7-6700HQ. I had the following problems when trying to install different versions of Ubuntu:
1. Sometimes when I select the install Ubuntu option it freezes at the first screen for loading Ubuntu
2. After installation the first time Ubuntu boots normal. The second time it freezes at loading and then displays the dialog to run in failsafe graphics mode.
3. During boot the nouveau driver prints thousands of errors. – https:/
4. Installing Nvidia drivers leads only to black blank screen with the sound that it has started. After installing 15.10 I got this screen: https:/
Here is a link to the bug I reported in LaunchPad: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/287618
1. I removed all nvidia drivers I had installed. I tried with the 355 driver.
sudo apt-get purge nvida-*
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-355 nvidia-prime
sudo service lightdm restart
2. I edited the grub and added nouveau.modeset=0 to the GRUB_CMDLINE_
sudo nano /etc/default/grub
4. On boot the 355 driver is awful. Resolution was 640×480. I opened NVIDIA settings and chose to use the Intel card.
5. 10 reboots later everything is still working
Link to tutorial I followed: http://